Sunday 11 May 2014

Absolutely Fabulously Squishy Soft Iced Buns

I am over the moon that I have found a fantastic recipe for this kind of bake, Iced Buns, Chelsea Buns - I can think of lots of yummy things I can experiment with using this dough. It is so soft and sweet and squishy, you WILL be blown away. Well, I was. Make sure you try one straight from the oven after you have finished icing them - Heaven. I found this recipe on a blog I stumbled upon this week called 'English Mum', and I am so glad I did.

You will need:
450g Strong, White Bread Flour, Sifted
1tsp Salt
75g Caster Sugar
1 x 7g Sachet Dried Yeast
150ml Milk - I use Whole Milk
150ml Water
50g Unsalted Butter

Icing:
4 or 4 Tbsp Icing Sugar
1/2 Tsp Liquid Glucose (Optional -it just keeps the icing runny but I didn't use any)


  1. Add all of the dry ingredients to a large bowl and stir to combine
  2. Warm the Milk, Water and Butter in a saucepan over a low heat until the butter has melted and take off the heat.
  3. Add the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients (the liquid should be no more than blood temperature when you add it to the dry ingredients) stir with a knife until it comes together as a light dough. The stickier, the better. But, you can add a little flour if it is too sticky to handle.
  4. Put the dough on the work surface and knead for around 5 minutes by pushing it across the surface, bringing it back into a ball and repeating It will start to come together and be less messy. 
  5. Put the dough into a large bowl and cover the dough with cling film and put it in the airing cupboard or the tumble dryer after it has been on or anywhere else warm until it has doubled in size.
  6. Now you need to 'knock it back', I just punch the dough ball while still in the bowl a few times until the air has escaped. Now separate the dough into 8 equal balls - you can just place them on a baking tray but as 'English Mum' instructs, using a spring form, loose bottomed tin is brilliant for this. So, I arranged them in a 10inch round tin and cover and let them rise again in a warm place.
  7. When they have risen again - bake them in a preheated oven at 180 for 15-20 minutes - I left them in for the 20 minutes to ensure they were cooked throughout to avoid them being heavy and wet inside.
  8. While they are in the oven, make the icing - sift your icing sugar into a bowl and add a few drops of boiling water until you get a thick consistency that you can still pour over the buns.
  9. When they come out of the oven, pour over the icing and let it dribble all over the gorgeously soft buns.
Now eat one, because they are just so tasty when they're warm!





No comments:

Post a Comment