Saturday 26 April 2014

Amazing Lemon Drizzle Cake

I am so very happy I found this recipe. I have never tried to make Lemon Drizzle Cake before so I was doing some research and looking for a good looking recipe. This recipe is apparently from Nigella Lawson originally but I found it on 'Bake & The City' a blog I have recently come across which I love. Her name is B, she lives in London, and collects recipes in an envelope of everything she wants to bake - just as I do. We also have another similarity - her partner also isn't a massive baked goods fan and rarely eats what she bakes - I also have this problem which leads to me eating the whole batch - how terrible. This Lemon cake however he adores! This recipe caught my eye because of the lemon syrup you pour into the tin as soon as the cake comes out of the oven which makes a gorgeous crisp sugar glaze coating all over the cake when it is cooled and removed from the tin.




I followed this recipe exactly and it is perfect - it doesn't need a single thing changing. 
So, you will need:
5x9in Loaf Tin
125g Unsalted Butter
175g Caster Sugar
2 Large Eggs
Zest of 1 Lemon
175g SR Flour
Pinch of salt
4 Tablespoons Milk (I used whole milk)
I added some Poppy Seeds too

Syrup:
Juice of 1 1/2 Lemons
100g Icing Sugar

Drizzle:
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
150g Icing Sugar

Line your loaf tin with baking paper and grease with butter 
Preheat oven to 180 C
I used my stand mixer to cream together the butter and sugar then add the zest and the eggs - beat in well
Gently fold the flour and salt into the mixture - mix thoroughly and add the milk and poppy seeds and mix thoroughly again.





Pour the mixture into your tin and bake for 45 minutes - In my oven 45 minutes exactly was perfect.

When your loaf has 5 minutes left in the oven, gently heat the syrup ingredients in a saucepan until the sugar has dissolved.

When the cake comes out of the oven - puncture holes all over the loaf with a skewer or toothpick and poor the syrup over the loaf - it may seem a lot but it will soak in and doesn't make the sponge wet.



Leave the cake to cool completely before removing from the tin.

When your cake is cool, combine the drizzle ingredients in a bowl until smooth - I then put the icing into a freezer bag, gathered it all into one corner and snipped the corner off to make a piping bag. Then drizzle!! 








No comments:

Post a Comment